Re: Oil Warning and engine cut out

> Phil,
>      If the light come on as the engine cut out, maybe you do not have an
> oil problem at all, but something cut the motor, perhaps an electrical
> problem. As the motor cut & the rpm drops, the oil pressure drops & the
> ignition is still on so you see the light.
>      If you did lose all oil pressure, the motor would not seize instantly
> so I doubt seizing is the cause of the motor cutting out. I dont know how
> the oil pump on this Triumph is driven, but other bikes can have an oil
> pump driven by gears & if the gear breaks it can jam up & stop the motor.
>      If you turn the ignition on & the oil light comes on & it goes off as
> soon as the motor starts, you could probably ride it to the dealer, but
> keep a close eye on the light. Also keep in mind what may happen if the
> motor was to cut out again at the wrong moment, eg: like when cornering or
> in traffic.
>      I'm sorry if all the above is a bit vague but it doesnt look like you
> have had any other replies yet. I think the most likely cause is just an
> electrical problem the caused your motor to cut out. Let us know what u
> find...
>
> Darren.
> 2000 ST, Melbourne

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the suggestions. The engine definitely didn't seize it merely cut
out and I pulled the cluth in so I could coast into the driveway. The bike
turned over without a problem and restarted straight away when I stopped in
the front yard. From other peoples responces it seems like it was probably
either just the EMS having a bit of temporary brain fade or sensing that the
engine was running lean and cutting out for that reason. I'll look into the
lean running but hopefully it was just a case of a small glitch with the
EMS.

BTW I'll be coming down to Melbourne sometime early next year so we should
catch up for a ride and ST comparison. What colour did you get? I'll post to
the list when I know more details because I'll be coming down via Sydney and
will try to catch up with a few fellow ST riders if they're keen.

Phil
'00 ST, Blue, Brisbane

Phil
'00 ST