Re: Parting is such sweet sorrow

In your message regarding Re: Parting is such sweet sorrow dated Mon, 27
Nov 2000 07:44:15 -0000, Anderson, Neil G said that ...

>ANG-  Mike Bostock wrote:
>
> >the fuel warning light came on, filled up to the brim* 10 miles later, and
>ANG-  rode
> > off again - it took a good couple of minutes before the fuel gauge crept
>ANG-  off the
> > red and another minute or so before the 'reserve' light went off - is this
> > normal??
>ANG-
>ANG-  Well, I think it's normal - mine does that too if I fill up to the brim, but
>ANG-  the guage reacts much more quickly if I only part-fill the tank.  I take it
>ANG-  there's a float on the fuel sensor and if it's fully immersed, it takes a
>ANG-  while to rise to the surface, but if it's only partly immersed, it does what
>ANG-  it's supposed to and floats.  How's that for a technical explanation?

Sounds almost convincing, except by the slow reaction I would have thought
that immersion of some sort of electrical resistance was the source of the
fuel gauge information.  Which doesn't explain why the 'reserve' light
took way longer to go out - the needle was reading almost half full (or
half empty depending on your point of view :-) ) when the light went out.

>ANG-  Nice dealer, can we have his phone number please? ;-)

Bridge Motorcycles, Exeter, Devon.  Good on most points, their sales
manager, Earl Richmond (SW Triumph salesman of the year 1997, I noted from
a plaque on the wall behind his desk), had all of his side sorted but the
parts and accessories department were distinctly lax and needed a kick up
the b*m for their part of the deal.  Fortunately, Earl has sufficient
weight to over-ride anything they get wrong and kick a few butts as well.
I asked that various bits (from advice from this list) were specifically
checked before purchase and they fitted a new chain and sprocket as a
result (however, tyres could possibly have been changed as well as I have
probably only got another 1K left on the back one).

My advice is - if you go to Bridge to buy a Triumph only speak to Earl,
no-one else.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/