Re: Introduction and questions

David,
    I had a similar opportunity to buy a '94 VFR750 about 3-4 years ago.  It had
some slight fairing damage, and I got it for $3000.  I rode it for about 3000
miles and sold it for $4000.  As long as the bike is mechanically sound, you can
have quite a good bike for the money if you can put up with the scratches.  If you
do get serious about buying the ST, make sure you price some new fairing pieces to
get an idea of what kind of deal you are getting.
    Having owned a VFR I think maybe I can lend some advice.  First of all, the ST
has WAY more power.  Hands down.  The triple has more torque and has got a neat
sound to it.  I didn't care too much for the gear-whine of the vfr, and it just
didn't have the grunt I needed to power overweight me and a passenger to my
liking.
    I do remember how comfy the VFR was.  I could ride for miles.  I liken the ST
position to the VFR, maybe even more comfortable.  When I test rode a friends ST I
felt like I could keep going when it was time to give it back.  That's how I knew
it was for me.  Plus it's a good looking bike, with a neat single swingarm, and
lots of accessories.

Hope it works out!

Mark Collett

David Armstrong wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My name is David Armstrong.  I am 34 years old,
> married with two kids (10 mos. and almost 3 yrs) and I
> am currently living in Houston, Tx.
>
> I am without a motorcycle at this time, but am the
> former owner of an '84 KZ700 (learner), and a '91 VFR
> 750 (loved it).  Buying of homes, or births of
> children have cause me to have to sell my rides.  But
> once again I find myself in a position to get back
> into it (maybe - hopefully).
>
> I very much liked the VFR and would consider getting
> another one like it, but some time back I had the
> opportunity to test ride the Sprint ST and was
> immediately impressed.  The riding position seemed
> much like that of my comfy VFR, but with more grunt, a
> great sound, and available luggage.
>
> I was expecting to have to wait until February to buy
> a motorcycle due to the timing of bonuses at my job.
> And to be honest, I didn't think I'd be able to afford
> a Sprint (used or otherwise) on this go-round.  But in
> the trader mag I was perusing, I found a '99 with
> "slight fairing damage" for $3900.  It sounds too good
> to be true and I wanted to confer with some ST owners
> about it.
>
> I was going to look into this bike tomorrow (Monday)
> and was hoping to get a list of things to look for
> specific to the ST.  Any help here would be
> appreciated.
>
> Also, are there any previous VFR, Concourse (or other
> sport tourer) owners out there who could share their
> impressions and lend comparisons between the two?
>
> Please feel free to e-mail me direct at
> armstrong750@xxxxxxxxx, or via the list.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> David Armstrong