Re: Motorcyclist magazine

From: Marc Cook <marccook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Geez...you guys. Nobody's ever happy! <g>
>
>Read the story again carefully, please. Our intent was to sample four
points
>along the possible sport-touring spectrum ...<SNIP>

First, my thanks to Marc for taking the time to respond. It is much
appreciated.

FWIW, Marc, some of the comments about that article from a group I belong to
(Sportriders of New England  www.sportriders.com ) have mentioned that it
appeared Motorcyclist ran low on ideas for stories at the same time the
garage ran low on test bikes.  :-)   Whatever.

A few other things, Marc:

Still sorry about McQuide. That one still hurts. Now losing Jennings must
make life there a bit depressing. My condolences.

Your newest associate editor's statement about "The thought of traveling for
long stretches - even on twisty roads - seems like a lot of work" makes us
think he'd be a better fit over at Sport Rider, or maybe a new mag "Drag
Rider". Then he could do all his work in the same 1/4 mile.  :-0

Burns and Boehm have outwardly done nothing to appease the readership for
their handling of the Erion interview and other recent manifestations of a
sexist attitude among your staff. (They did respond to my e-mail personally,
but did not admit to or apologize for the obvious.) I may have noticed less
of it lately. Perhaps someone is really paying attention afterall?

I like the redesign and new features. Good job. The "Archive" is a decent
replacement for the last page photo. It gives the over-40 crowd something to
reminisce about, and younger types, a history lesson. Nice piece by Freidman
on "Bike Bigotry", btw.

I don't take everything I read, even in MCN, as gospel. (I used to work for
a newspaper as a photographer, so I have insight.) Even MCN got hammered,
deservedly so, by Honda for their test comparing an illegally derestricted
Mille against their RC51 and a Duc996.

Overall, your magazine seems pretty fair. Of course WE would like to see
more Triumphs, but what would you expect?

Regards,

Ken M.
2000 RS