re: A new lister with another pannier question.

>  From: "Josh Hawkins" <jhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>, on 10/04/2000 14:29:
>  <snip> To try and cut a long story short I am yet to make a choice on the
hard
>  panniers or the throw overs. I am planning to make the odd long trip but the
>  majority will under 3-400 kms (2-250 miles) and probably won't need luggage.
>  I have had a browse at Matt Knowles page which helped a heap, but does
>  anyone out there have any close up photos of the hard pannier brackets or
>  comments on how they look when the bags aren't attached?

	I think it comes down to whether you need/want locking luggage and how
you think the bike looks with the panniers off. I got addicted to the
convenience of hard, locking luggage on a previous bike (Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
- - "the slug") and my panniers stay on all the time. My topbag lives in the
attic except for long trips, but then it's indispensable.  If you don't need
something that locks every day then the soft bags work very well from what I've
heard. If you only need something that locks on long trips, try the soft
panniers and hard topbag, which opens up the RS as a viable option, too. There
are times I've thought I should've gone that route, as I really don't like the
look of the bike with the bags off and the pipe down, but I lock stuff in my
panniers all the time in everyday use.

Hope that helps, but you probably knew all that before,

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	Spring, Texas, USA