Re: Lyle Lovett Motorsports & South Africa Trip

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 08:01:58 -0700, Richard & Lisa White
<RedRiders@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I do have to say, in fairness to the salesman, this is not the first
>time I have heard comments to the effect that Triumph does attempt to
>get dealers to accept some products (bikes includes) that the dealers do
>not want with products they do want, which, IF TRUE, IMHO, is not the
>way to conduct good business.  It's better to see WHY they don't want
>those products and to discontinue or reduce production of items not in
>high demand, if that is the reason for the products' low demand. . . .

I spoke with several people at Pro-Italia, including the manager,
about their decision to drop Triumph. The reason was that Triumph
insisted they order retro-style bikes in addition to the sporty ones.
For many dealerships that may not be much of a problem, but for
Pro-Italia is was nonsense. They have the same kind of trouble selling
Thunderbirds or Legends as a Harley-Davidson shop would have selling
R1s. They had one Legend that had been sitting on the floor for
something like two years.

They (Pro-Italia) were willing to keep the franchise if they could get
Daytonas and Speed Triples, but if they had to take T-birds and
Legends as well, it didn't make any sense for them to carry the line.