Question about rear hugger

I imagine this thing is handy for keeping mud and road debris from getting
on the interior bits of the bike.  I've checked the uploads site and haven't
seen any clear pictures (I think one included a picture of a carbon fiber
hugger, but that wasn't the focus of the picture).  Anybody got any strong
feelings about the hugger?  Worth the expense?  Also, I'm thinking about
getting one of those Pipeline exhausts - do you think they'd coexist
peacefully?

- -JR
'00 Sprint ST (blue) "Lorelei"