RS hugger

I'm thinking about buying a hugger to protect the shock from all the mud and stuff I force the poor RS to cope with. But on both the Magpie and ST/RS lists I recall two negatives about the Triumph hugger:

(a) that it tends to crack rather easily, even the newer beefier item, and more serious still

(b) that it doesn't do a very good job of protecting the shock.

Rather a waste of money, if true.

Can anyone confirm these, and if true what other options are there? I'm after functionality rather than fashion.

PS: The RS is in today for it's fuel sender check.

Barry
00 RS