Re: Heat

At 02:55 PM 10/14/00 -0500, Lex Offer wrote:
>Awhile back (during the middle of summer) I seem to remember people
>complaining about engine heat broiling their legs, also about chin
>fairings melting.  Was wondering if anyone had tried using exhaust
>wrapping, you know that tape that is suppose to keep the exhaust heat in
>the exhaust pipe giving the exhaust more velocity.

I think you would be better off sending off the header to be coated. I
added the tape but found that even with it, a lot of heat was transferred
and with the added thickness, air flow between the pipe and fairing was
restricted (should be about 10mm). The other problem is that the tape can
catch and hold oil which can lead to some interesting smoking and in
extreme cases, fire. I decided that for me it was not the way to go. I
still have quite a quantity of wrap if anyone needs it.

Brian Olson (that makes the turbo kit for the ST) gets his coated.

- - Eric