RE: Idle failure

> "Ouwerkerk, Mike" wrote:
>
> In short, it
> would not idle no matter if I was stopped or slowing for a stop.  Rode
> around for about 5 minutes testing different solutions, stopped the
> bike and powered down completely (key off).  Turned all back on again,
> bike worked fine with no repeat of the previous problem.

>Hi, Mike, and congrats on your RS purchase! I seem to recall a couple of
>other folks relating the same kind of story, but the problem seems
>impossible to consistently reproduce and it rarely -- if ever -- happens
>to folks more than once.

Yes, interesting. This happened to me only once (in 20,000km) after a fuel
stop on a long trip. Without thinking and without an "ignition reboot", I
restarted the bike on the throttle. Some 200km later(!), I came to a stop
for road works and the engine cut out. Using the brain this time, I cycled
the ignition off and on again and the bike started and idled normally. I
wondered if I had inadvertently held the throttle slightly open the first
time, but I don't think so. I think the computer just had a temporary
headache. Computers do that. As it has never re-occurred, I haven't been
concerned. Obviously, if in doubt, reboot (maybe Microsoft is involved here
somewhere :-))

Paul Bulfin.