Re: Purchasing a new RS / cost etc

In a message dated 10/19/00 1:00:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Michael Harris
writes:

> I live in Seattle, WA and have decided to buy a Sprint RS.  Does anyone
>  know what the approximate dealer cost is?
>  I have been to 2 dealers, one quoted a price of $10,350 (approx), the
other
>  one was $9,200 ('on the street with taxes, tags etc').  Does $9,200 seem
>  like a reasonable amount or do they generally go for less?  They really
>  seem to add on lots for assembly and freight...  (the sticker price at the
>  Cycle Barn was $8K!)
>
>  By the way, the two dealers are I-90 Motorsports in Issaquah (@ $9200) and
>  the Cycle Barn in Lynnwood.  Anything good/bad on either of them?
>
>  Besides the after market exhaust pipe and fuel injection re calibration
>  (and wet weather riding gear ;-), are there any vital options I should get
>  right off the bat?

Well, yes - Mike - as a matter of fact I do know dealer cost on a Sprint RS -
but if I told you then I would have to kill you, and that would be bad for
both of us!

What you should know is that MSRP on 2000 model year Sprint RS was reduced to
$8999. until the last one is sold.  2001 Sprint RS MSRP is $9499.  Dealer
margin from cost is the same either way -- so even if you beat your dealer up
with a really big stick the '01 will cost you about $500 more all else being
equal.

FYI - Triumph charges dealers real $$$ for crating and shipping the bike to
their store.  A dealer that adds $400 to cover his costs is literally doing
only that if the bike is assembled, PDI'ed, test ridden and adjusted
carefully for the customer.

In certain markets it will cost a dealer as much as FIVE TIMES more to have a
crated Triumph trucked to his doorstep as it would to have a Yamasakihonzuki
delivered to his doorstep.  He then will spend at least twice as much time on
assembly and PDI with that bike as he might with that Yamasakihonzuki that I
was just talking about.

IMHO the best accessories for an RS are:
1) Center stand (do I need to tell you why?)
2)  Triumph soft luggage saddlebag system.  Very high quality item with
outstanding features that will really increase the versatility of the machine.
3)  Triumph tankbag (if you still need more carrying capacity).
4)  Triumph rear rack. (Will accept the hard tail trunk if you ever have the
need).

Also consider that Triumph bolt-on accessories that are purchased and
installed by a dealer when you purchase your bike will carry a full two-year
warranty, just like the rest of the machine.  OEM Triumph bolt-ons purchased
subsequent to the purchase of your machine are warranted for one year.

I have a Lucifer Orange RS in my garage right now, and I think that it looks
outstanding with a SILVER Triumph belly pan bolted on.  You can color match
if you want, but take a walk on the wild side and go silver for a real nice
looking bike.

Before you decide which dealer to do business with, ask for a tour of the
Service Bay.  Ask questions like what the charge for a first service and/or a
major tune and service on your bike will be, and why?  Does the dealer have
an organized toolboard for all his Triumph special tools?

Quiz your salesperson.  Does he/she know anything about the bike that you are
considering purchasing?  Does the store stock OEM parts like oil filters,
levers, cables, turn signals -- or is even the most minor tipover likely to
send you into the "Special Order Hell" Zone?  Do the Parts counter personnel
sound conversant in Triumph issues -- or do you hear a lot of pregnant pauses
and "I'll have to research that for you" answers when you ask a reasonable
question or two.

A reasonable question could be something like "Can you tell me if the VIN on
this bike is subject to either the drivechain or fuel sender recall?  Has it
been completed? [If not]  Have the parts been ordered?  Oops!  That was three
questions?  Ask them anyway...

Don't plan to buy from one dealer and have service done elsewhere.  You are
setting yourself up for real heartbreak if you go down that road!

All the best,
Kenny Stewart
[Road Dawg]