Re: Airborne

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Lance LaCerte, Psy.D. wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> Just wanted some input as I have now officially joined the list of airborne
> ST riders.
>
> Going a little hot and heavy into a sweet set of twisties, I stood the scoot
> up on purpose and planned on riding her off the tarmac and onto the
> gravel/grass--- unfortunately I grabbed a little too much front brake, the
> front end lost it in the gravel, stopped abruptly, and launched me over the
> handle bars.
>
> So, my hats off to Arai for protecting my head (going into a tuck over the
> handle bars it appears that my head hit first) and Z leathers for protecting
> my own hide.  Bruised for sure but able to walk away, I still can't imagine
> these idiots riding around in shorts, a tank top and sandals.
>
> Here's the issue/question:  My last crash was about 8 years ago (i.e., I
> don't remember how I went about this re: the insurance company) and since I
> do most of my own work, I plan on contacting my insurance, but ordering the
> parts and doing my own labor replacing them.  1) Should I leave the bike as
> is for them to see or can I go ahead and take off all of the broken hardware
> so I can take a complete inventory?   2) When negotiating a price, can I
> expect them to cut me a check (after my deductible has been paid) which will
> include the estimated cost of labor that a shop would charge to put it all
> back together?  (p.s.   State Farm is my insurer)
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your get off, glad you are basically okay,

My guess would be that they will do one of two things

1) Write off the bike, then you can buy the bike back for salvage

2) Gladly let you take the bike to a dealer then write the check
to the dealer.

My guess would be that if they allow you to repair you own bike
with funds from them, they may be opening themselves to liability,
in case you do not do a good job and wind up killing yourself.

My first thought is, if you are willing to do all of your own
wrenching, and the bike will definately not be a write off, then
you might want to just pay for the new body pannels in lou of higher
insurance premiums.

Random thoughts,
Thom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664