OIL

Hi there STERS
Just a short note on Oil.  Triumph recommends a full synthetic oil.  If I
recall correctly, only two brands are endorsed by Triumph-Mobil 1, and
another brand which I cant recall.  Its not a major brand-something like
Redline.  Says approved by Triumph, right on the label.
I recently changed oil and filter on Big Red, and was able to buy Mobil 1 4T
in quart bottles.
I just checked the label, and it says 10W/40W, in large letters on the
label.  I have used the Motul 300V, and it is fine oil.  Also is available
in quarts.  It is 15W/50W.  There is a difference in Mobil 1 for cars, and
Mobil 1 4T, but I cant seem to find out exactly what it is.  I have been
told that it has to do with additives for gear lash in motorcycles with
common gearbox/engine. Up till recently Mobil 1 4T was available in the 1
gallon size only.  I have a small motorcycle restoration business, and I am
able to buy most oils wholesale.  For instance, Motul is about $8/qt,
however Mobil 1 4T is not available. As a matter of fact, no motorcycle
shops/dealers in Bakersfield handle Mobil 1 4T motorcycle oil.  This is
about to change as we are getting a new Triumph dealer in Bakersfield, the
Kawasaki dealer will also handle Triumph.  I change my oil every 3K miles,
not 2k, or 2500.  Last oil change I did myself cost me $75.00.  Too much for
an oil change!  But cheap insurance. I dont think I would use the Mobil 1
car oil in my Sprint.  I think I should do what the factory recommends,
maybe it will make Big Red last longer!  Also, none of the locally available
oil filter sockets will work on the Triumph filter!  I bought one that was
close from Pep Boys, but it just slipped on the canister.  I ended up
putting a sheet of paper for added traction.
So I ordered the Triumph oil filter socket, approx $7.  The Triumph socket
looks just like the Pep Boys socket-but its just slightly smaller.  Oh
yeah-the ONLY filter that will work on my Sprint ST is the Triumph filter.
The filter available from Fram, will NOT work.  Nor will the
Suzuki equivilant-although they look alike from the outside.

Burt Barrett
&Big Red