Opinions on the bike...

Wow.  What a great web site resource and an e-mail list to boot.  To get to
the point I owned an 82 Honda Sabre V45 with full fairing for a couple years
until I moved out of the country and had to sell it.  I prefer low to
midrange punch. I prefer the ST as opposed to the RS looks wise.  Just my
take.

I'm looking to buy a new bike within a year or so.  So, I have plenty of
time.

I read everything the website that referred me to this list.  I wanted to
personal opinions though.  First...I'm 5'11" @190lbs.  32 inch inseam and 35
inch arms.  Anyone with similar build here?

When you went about buying the bike what other bikes did you try out and
what were your short takes on them?  Why did you chose the ST over them?  Do
you regret your decision at all?

At first I wanted to go the naked sports bike route and the Speed Triple
seems way cool to me.  But I remember how much I appreciated the full
fairing for longer rides and the Sprint just seems more versatile.  I
suspect I'll check out the competition for fun...BMW, Ducati, maybe the
VFR800.

But the bike that seems to be in the back of my mind as competition for us
poorer folk is the new Bandit 1200S.  But that's for me to figure out later.

What would be the average range on a tank of gas?  Does the addition of the
pannier system effect mileage much?

Any idea what insurance would be for someone in NY, 30yrs old, single, no
tickets?  Ballpark?

What are the weaknesses of the bike?  Have read about the fuel gauge- but
understand due to the tank design it drops quickly top half and more slowly
bottom half.  No biggie.  Read somewhere the front end is a bit softly
sprung?  Is this easy to rectify?  Read something here about 'mushy breaks'.
Though- I suppose the verdict is out and overall there are no major issues
with the engine or electrical system?

Are the stock tires okay or do folks tend to get rid of them quickly?

How is the EFI system overall?  Read the dealer can just download different
tunes into the computer for performance enhancements.  Cool.  ;)  The turbo
is even cooler.  >:)

What is a good 'out the door' price for an ST with the 2 box pannier system
here in the North Eastern United States?

Anything you wish to add to consider for my decision making process is
appreciated.  I hope to start some demo rides this spring.  That's probably
the most important.  :)  But until then...I'd appreciate the collective
experience of those on this list since I'm leaning very heavily towards the
Sprint ST.

Oh...anyone have any idea if certain changes are in the works for the 2002
model?

TIA

Dean C. Harris
Microsoft Certified Professional