Re: Rear tyre tread depth

Jim, Paul, Erik
and the rest of the Walton family (      : ) -       )
thanks for all the tyre info.

The Triumph handbook (check the tyre section BTW - very little info, but
loads of threatening warning boxes full of !!!!)
says something similar - though minimum tread recommendations depend on low
vs. high speed, apparently.

Having spoken to a tyre-fitters and JL's workshop, I have to say that I
should have read the tyre reviews better. Didn't realize you'd only get
about 1500 miles out of the Avon Azaros - and similar figures go for a
number of the tyres at the top of the list, which are obviously as soft and
sticky as toffee melting in the mid-day sun. I for one need good mileage and
would rather "compromise" on clinginess. So I'll probably end up having more
Bridgestones on there anyway.

My greatest worry is taking off on holiday abroad, only to find that a) the
tread requirements are stricter in Lithuanian than in the UK and b) they
confiscate the vehicle (as they do here in the UK with booze smuggling now,
apparently) as a result.

tim