Fuel Economy and top rack removal

Well, went to roll the ST out, turned on the key and was immediately
greeted with the low fuel light. Looking at the tripmeter, I saw only 120
miles on the screen - I knew that I had filled up last weekend in St
Augustine - it can't be empty.... Opened it up - yup -empty!? Before
leaving for Biketoberfest I had noticed the same thing - 114 miles on the
tripmeter and an empty tank. I decided that I needed to take a look. Of
course that meant that I would have to remove the rear fairing ... and the
rack. I hate pulling the rack off because of the nuts on the rearmost
bolts. Every time I pull it off, I get to struggle with them to get them
reinstalled. I decided I was going to take another listers recommendation
and weld the nuts to the bottom of the strengthening plate. After looking
at it for a minute, it hit me (and I can't believe I missed it). The
existing plate is already threaded, so running a bolt up from the bottom
would hold the strengthening plate in place, yet allow easy removal of the
rack. I replaced the stock bolts with (2) M8 1.25x135 stainless bolts -
here is a pic of them in place.

http://www.triumphnet.com/st/faq/luggage/boltmod.jpg

I then turned to my fuel problem. With just the removal of the rear fairing
it was easy to see my problem - and it is embarrassing to reveal. When I
reinstalled the tank before the rallye after repairing the damage to the
tank, I did not fully engage the lock on one of the fuel lines. Over the
miles, it simply worked itself out until it reached the point that fuel was
leaking from the fitting. Popped it back in and made sure the clip was
secure - problem fixed.....

- - Eric