Re: Speeding tickets, plea bargains, etc

Mort:

Having an unfortunately vast amount of experience on this topic in Illinois
and California I would suggest the following.

Definitely request the court date if traffic school is not an alternative.

If the officer doesn't appear, you will be found not guilty.  If the officer
does appear it really depends on the state you are in.  It sounds like you
have an excellent driving record so New Jersey may have something called
"supervision".  This was an option in Illinois where you would be fined, but
the ticket would not go on your record as long as you didn't get another
ticket within 6 months.  I am sure you should be able to find a website
dedicated to appearing in court on citations.  Hopefully your fellow Garden
Staters will be of more assistance than I.

Good luck!

PS