TSRA Rallye Friday, sorry it's so long

	The TSRA had our obligatory, morning riders meeting. Weasel, Aqua, and
myself made introductions. I was the referee and asked how many folks
had seen the official AMA Accident report form. There were no hands
raised and as Lisa was about to open the book I pointed out that I
hadn't seen it either but that there was one in the book and I wanted it
to stay there. This was greeted with light applause, which I appreciated
and I think we all understand each other. I also displayed the blank
check with one signature already on it that Weasel, Aqua, and I all
have. I pointed out that it was blank but ready for your name if you are
caught riding dangerous or endangering other riders, etc. I'm glad the
boring bad guy stuff is over. We want the Rallye to be fun while
maintaining a no injury riding approach.
As we emptied into the parking lot ST's of every colour imaginable
greeted us. There was black, blue, and that wonderful RED.
	We left the Inn in small groups for safety reasons. My group included
Bird Dawg, Ken Pickett a.k.a. "Invisible Dawg", Jedi Dawg, Scott Friday
on that other bike, Beth Friday later to be known as "Crash Dawg" on a
Triumph Legend, and myself on the proper RED ST.
	We headed east up the parkway toward Mount Mitchell. After a few miles
of great riding the Parkway opened up a little and we were greeted by
beautiful mountain vistas with lakes snuggled between the peaks. We
stopped at a waterfall overlook that unfortunately only had a small
trickle of water running. Here we meet a group of real senior citizens
that were hiking for miles. They were most interested in our bikes and
did not leave until we started them and pulled away so they could hear
the bike sounds.
	We soon came to the turnoff to Mount Mitchell. This was another great
side road that at one point requires some dirt bike riding skills. As we
entered the parking lot close to the summit about twenty other TSRA
riders greeted us. Another round of welcomes took place before we made
the 400-foot hike to the summit. Atop Mount Mitchell is the grave of its
explorer Elias Mitchell who died of a fall on one of the mountain's
waterfalls in the late 1800's.  Mount Mitchell is the tallest spot on
the eastern side of the Mississippi River at 6'600+ feet, the coldest,
and the windiest. The record low temperature is minus 34 degrees with
winds recorded at 100 miles per hour. Talk about wind chill! On this day
it was a pleasant 65 degrees and winds from 60-70 MPH. We completed our
annual TSRA hike as we headed back downhill to our bikes. As we returned
to the parking lost another group of TSRA riders rode in and we again
exchanged pleasantries and headed off back to the Parkway.
	We continued NorthEast on the Parkway to Little Switzerland and lunch.
We stopped at a small café right on the inside of a 180-degree turn as
you left town. The food was very good and the waitress friendly. I
cleaned one of the outside tables before she returned and kept giving
her a hard time about it. We exchanged lighthearted comments throughout.
Next to our group were a couple of preachers and their wives. This of
course led to a volley of religious jokes that just maintained the
upbeat atmosphere. The outside tables were the hot ticket as we got to
enjoy each others company, hear the sound of approaching motorcycles,
watch then round the turn half way, spot us, ease off the throttle, and
pull in to join us for lunch. Soon there were thirty or more riders
filling the café. This exchanging of pleasantries is getting to be a
habit. But what a way to spend your time when your not ridding by
talking about the roads and places to see. Our group finished lunch and
headed backward around loop 26A. What a great road! This thing ROCKS! It
twists and turns with banked turns throughout. Wonder why that boat is
sticking out of the trees about head high? On the way back toward the
Inn we stopped at the damn of a beautiful lake for more picture taking.
Again, as we sat there we could hear the approaching bikes and then
watched as they rounded the turn and waved.
	When we returned to the Inn I was greeted by the news that Robert had
crashed. His bike had gone off the mountain but he was all right and on
his way back. The front desk had no ideal where he was and there was no
word on Jenna's status. I wonder why they're not telling us anything
about Jenna? As the riders came in we told them of the bad news and the
depression was evident on their faces. After about an hour I walked over
to inquire of any news from some park rangers at the gas station. I
asked the ranger about any update and she responded that she hadn't
heard anything about another motorcycle crash. I explained all about the
news we got from the front desk. She asked me the rider's name again and
I said Robert Head. I was cut short as the guy sitting on the ground
said "Hey, my name's Robert". I looked down and he was sitting there
with a helmet in his lap looking sort of low. "Did you have a crash", I
asked? "Yes". "Did your bike go off the mountain"? "Yes". He went on to
tell me that he went off of the mountain, crawled back up on the
parkway, a car stopped and asked if he needed help, he replied that he'd
walk back but could they tell someone at the Inn that he needed help.
They asked what his name was and he replied Robert. "OH BOY THIS IS
GREAT NEWS" I shouted! You should have seen the look on his face. I was
still pumped about the coincidence and grinning like a possum. I
apologized about being happy that it was he who crashed and offered
help. His only reply was that he had all the help he needed as he
pointed to the park rangers and that they were waiting on a wrecker to
get his bike back up off the mountainside! I returned to the group with
great excitement and spread the news. Soon Robert and Jenna pulled in
and must have wondered why we were all SO happy and clapping at their
return.
	That night after dinner we watched dummies destroying bikes, nude
riding, held the first official membership meeting of the TSRA, and
elected Greg as our new president. Congratulations Wiener Dawg! Oh yea,
that Triumph representative wanted the picture of the new Bonneville off
our web site. Just bring the bike out will ya! The founding members
thanked Weasel for his web site and Inaugural TSRA Presidency with a
gift of a carbon fiber sprocket cover and inner fairing pieces with help
from Steve at Jack Lilley Triumph in the UK. Darn I wanted that stuff!

Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"