Re: RS power shortage, suspension

From: Rick Damiani <rickd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> Actually they aren't the same motor.  There are different
>> cams, pistons and bore liners, along with a different
>> fuel injection tune.
>
>There is a different tune for the Speed Triple, but the motor itself
>is essentially the same. It's Daytona motors that have the different
>cams, liners, and pistons.

Right you are, Rick. The Daytona has plated bores, (Nikasil?) vs. the
Sprint's sleeved bores, forged pistons vs. cast pistons, and a more
aggresive cam. The Daytona engine makes more HP, but at higher revs. The
Speed Triple is tuned for more midrange, the Sprints, tuned for even lower
rev operation.

As to comments that the RS suspension sucks, well mine doesn't. I'm still on
stock settings up front, and have run quite well on the street, and on the
track at NHIS (Loudon NH, USA). Had to up the rebound damping on the rear
for the track, otherwise, it worked great. NHIS has some rather nasty
transitions from the m/c route as it crosses over the NASCAR oval. As it
happens, those bumps are all on turns, (1a, 2, 3, 10, and 12). A friend who
races there took my RS around a few laps, and proclaimed it to be "very
surefooted" and stable, better than his VFR800 or his old Yamaha RD400 race
bike (which does have modern suspension.) He noted the much lighter
steering, and lower center of gravity. Power peak, he said, was about the
same as his VFR, but torque comes on much sooner on the RS.

I have ground the left footpeg knob down to 1/2 it's original length, and
couldn't do that on that track, on a bike with suspension as bad as stated
by another here. (Just touched the RH one, as Loudon is a heavily LH
oriented track.) I'd check t*re pressures, preload settings, and oil levels
before I dismissed the stock suspension as being really bad.

I, for one, think my Sprint RS is just about perfect. I do want "more
power", however, so will add an exhaust system and remap the injection. Then
again, maybe not. I *like* getting 230 miles (on the street) before seeing
the low-fuel lamp.

Ken M.
2000 Sprint RS (in the wicked fast, lighter, Racing Yellow color.)