Re: RS tires, BT020s, Michelin Pilot Sports

Hi Ken,

At 5,000 miles, my front and rears were well into the wear bars,
and generally shot.  They were underinflated about 6 pounds during
the first 4,000 miles of their lives, which probably hastened their
demise.

I just replaced them with some Michelin Pilot Sports, which are still
getting scuffed in.   So far I like the Michelins; but I haven't really
given them a good test yet.

It's tougher than it might seem to compare them to the BT-020s.
The Bridgestones were new 6 months ago when I wasn't as used to
the RS.

I can tell you for sure that the new Michelins are better than the worn
out BT020s!   I can also tell you that the BT020s are a good match for
the RS and that the Pilots, so far, aren't strikingly better.

After I ride my commute route for a few days I can give you a better
report.  But I'll probably have to wear out the Michelins before I'm
certain which tires I like better.  I'm under the impression that the BT020s
lost a bit of grip after the first 2500 miles.  We'll have to see how the Pilots
stand the "test of time" over the next six months :-).

Subjective impressions are tricky.  Like Maynard Hershon's classic article
where he was so impressed with how much smoother his transmission felt
using synthetic oil and then found out they'd put in dino oil my accident.

You can't go wrong with BT020s or Michelins.  BT020s were hand-picked
by Triumph for the RS and most everybody likes them, often to the point of
using them on their other bikes.  And Michelin, which may be the best tire
company on the planet, recommends the Pilots for the RS.

I did the math and discovered that I spend more on tires than I do on gas,
even at the current high gas prices.  But for me, good tires are a must have.

Don "Blue Dawg" Draper
Eclipse Blue Sprint RS