Re: RS owners: BT-020 info wanted

From: Andrea Matta <springbok@xxxxxxxxx>
>I found the BT-020 good only on dry roads and with not-too-high
>temperatures. In fact, the second time I happened to ride under the rain I
>fell down because of the front tyre that suddenly lose its grip. My first
>crash after 15 years of motorcycling. I know it was my fault because I
>exceeded with the front brake on the wet road, but I think that with a
>better tyre things could have been different.
>After that episode I decided to replace both tyres even if they were still
>at 50% (~4000 km).
>Now I've mounted Metzeler Z3 racing, and find them EXCELLENT. I know they
>won't last more than 6-7000 km, but my safety is priceless.

Thanks for sharing that. I've had better luck in the rain. My first ride in
rain was up the "Appalachian Gap" (Route 17) in Vermont, USA in mid-April
this year. That mountain road is VERY curvy (posted at 15 mph in spots), and
has some nasty frost heaves that time of year. There was a half-meter high
bank of snow along the sides as we went up. I leaned in as the road
tightened, and the BT-020's worked *great*. My friend on his K1200RS riding
Dunlop D205's had to slow considerably more than I did, and I was down to 25
mph. He has many years more rain-riding experience than I, so I know it was
the t*res that helped me through. I had D205's on my last bike, and BT-020's
are MUCH better in the wet.

Without wanting to start a long t*re discussion, I won't use race compounds
on the street. They usually require more heat to reach their best operating
temperature, and are of very limited use once things get wet and/or cold.
Race tires also don't handle as many heat cycles as street compounds before
the carcass starts to weaken. My racing friends tell me the Z3's are not the
best rain t*res, but are excellent dry-track choice. (Though not as good as
Dunlop D207*'s)

My safety is also priceless. I have three children and a wife that expect me
to walk in the door each day after I ride. That safety comes primarily from
the manner in which I ride. The t*res I choose have a comparatively small
part in that. I've ridden the BT-020's in near freezing temps, and on a hot
track in the middle of August. They work well,.... for me and the way I
ride. Plus, I can't afford new t*res at twice the rate at which the BT-020's
wear out.

Let me know how your ME-Z3's wear.

Ken M.