Re: European Tour Help....

Brian
interesting dilemma.

I did this the other way round, 4 years ago.
My verdict fell in favour of a cheapo flight over and buying a Harley, then
reselling it.
To cut out much laborious detail - it took me 4 weeks to sort out the
paperwork, even with a good friend's help, and one year to sell the bike
afterwards. Having said that, I still have a US driving licence (ouch!) and
I sold the bike for a profit (though I did add on quite a few bits and
bobs). So all round, I came out of it quite well. I suppose I even had the
option of keeping the HD at the end of it all and shipping it home, though
the thought of manoeuvring an FLHTP (Fairly Laborious Heavy-duty Tractor
People-carrier) around London is daunting ....

Offhand, I don't remember any company in Europe hiring out STs, but search
the net - many hire co.s have a web presence.
Shipping your own bike is fine, except that you need to make preparations
(emptying it of oil and fuel), boxing it up etc., and you'll be without
transport for some time before and after (2-4 weeks?) - which you also need
to factor in.

I'm not sure how much of a hassle buying a bike is in Europe for someone
like yourself - it can only be easier than it was for me as an objectionable
alien in the US - I jest not, I had to have a bank account, driver's licence
and much more to even buy a bike cash.

It's a rather vast subject, but I'd be inclined to buy and resell. Perhaps
you could find someone who has tried it on an American passport before you
decide?

The shippers I contacted back then were a company called Leman who provide
special crates and will do the packing for you. The cost seemed reasonable,
but it was definitely a slow-boat-to-China solution.

Tim (UK)