Re: Race Tech

DID YOU PREFORM THE WORK OR HAVE A SHOP DO IT? HOW MUCH DID IT COST?
Mark

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan West <jwratmaster@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, September 10, 2000 9:50 AM
Subject: Race Tech

Hi gang,
Just got done riding the crap out of the ST with the new emulators and
springs.  I opted for the .90 springs instead of the .95's everyone else
seems to be getting.  I weigh about 190 + gear.  The .90 springs are
definitley softer than the .95's that I test rode on Erik Miner's ST.
But they are not objectionable.  I wonder just how they are going to be
when I am fully loaded for touring duty.  I used a 10 wt oil which is
definitely too loose.  I'm swithching to 15wt asap.  I'd say the perfect
spring size would be a .925 (no such animal) for me.  But the good news
is:  The handling is positively improved ten fold.  It no longer changes
lines mid corner.  No more standing up in corners while under braking,
which was highly annoying.  The bike just seems to hold its line so much
better while leaned over now, regardless of whether you chop or whack
the throttle.  I love it.  This is how the bike is supposed to handle.
I no longer refer to my ST as the "Squirrel".

I know Erik Miner was wondering if he should switch to the .90 springs
so here's my advice:  If you want the stiffer sportier ride and do a lot
of heavily loaded riding, I would keep what you have (.95).  If you want
to soften it up at the expense of a little more front end dive- mind
you, its not excessive, but more than what you are used to right now, go
for the .90's.  The handling is still top notch with the softer spring.
I'd like to try a set of WP's springs just for comparison though.

Some time ago there was a guy in Australia asking about the standing up
in the corners under braking bit...We had some correspondence off list
and I do not rememer your name.  We had talked about the problem being
related to tires.... Well, it ain't the tires.  The stock bridgerock is
still on the front and the standing up in corners under braking
phenomenon has disappeared with the Race Tech mod described above.
Don't chase down the tire thing hoping to cure it.  Get the race tech
emulators and springs.

Still fine tuning these forks though....
Jonathan West

*