Re: Accessing the backside of the Speedo

At 01:08 AM 9/10/00 -0500, Robert L. Fastner wrote:
>     Can anyone tell me the best way to get at the backside of the speedo. It
>appears I have to completely disassemble the fairing to get anywhere near
>it. I just got my replacement drive from the dealer and can only get just
>under the speedo, where the headlight frame blocks my way. How do you remove
>the instrument panel? I just spent $123 on the drive (and it is still in the
>bag). I am trying to avoid buying (and waiting for) a service manual.

Looking at the service manual diagram and the parts fiche, it appears that
the drive assembly connects to a short jumper line, not directly to the
back of the speedo. I would first try following the existing wire up to the
molex type quick disconnect. If it is accessible you can do the replacement
without fairing removal. If you can't find the connector, then it looks
like you might be removing a few bits of plastic......

- - Eric