re: intro from SF, 3 questions

>  From: Matt Brown <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 09/14/2000 12:49:
>  Hello, my name is Matt. I'm a Triumph owner.
>
>  Last Friday I rolled out of Munroe Motors here in San Francisco with my new
>  2001 BRG Sprint ST.

	Congratulations! You won't regret it, of course. Welcome to the party
!!! Now we'll have a new color to add to the fastest color debate.

>  + on several occasions, a mid-tone whine has come from the engine area when
>  after I turn on the bike (before starting). I'm assuming this is the fuel
>  pump. It seems to be happening less frequently. Anyone noticed this on new
>  Sprints before? Since the noise doesn't seem to have any affect on
>  performance, I'm planning to wait till my 1000 mile service to talk to
>  Munroe about it.

	Yes, most likely the fuel pump. First service is supposed to be at
about 500 miles, though. Some have recommended waiting 'til about 600 miles,
but I probably wouldn't wait all the way to 1k.

>  + sometimes when accelerating from a stop I here a faint, strange sound
>  from the front of the bike. It kind of sounds like crinkling of very thin
>  foil. It seems to happen less once the bike is warm. I must admit I haven't
>  spent much time poking around the front of the bike to determine the cause.
>  Does this sound familiar to anyone?

	Hmmm, not familiar with that one. Maybe something loose inside the
fairing? Maybe a bit of detonation from low octane fuel? I've only ever had
that from 87 octane BP fuel. Everything else seems to work fine, not matter
what the octane. Once broken in, keep the revs above 3k, above 3,500 if
possible, and all should be well.

>  + I was a bit disappointed that there appeared to be no helmet lock or
>  place to attach a cargo net. Have I not spent enough time looking at my
>  bike or does Triumph expect everyone to buy luggage? :)
>
>  Thanks to everyone on this list for providing such a valuable resource for
>  soon to be and existing Triumph owners.

	Yeah, I guess they don't wear helmets in Britain, or they all buy the
luggage. I haven't yet found any helmet that won't fit in the panniers, though,
so be patient and all will be well. When the luggage is full, I use a small
luggage lock to lock the helmet strap to the passenger footpeg. Not ideal, but
better than leaving it completely loose.

	The next thing you may notice is stiff shifting, but maybe they've
worked that out. If it is stiff, just be patient. Mine has 9k miles on it and
is slicker 'n snot on a doorknob now. I find that letting it rev higher helps
that, too.

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	Spring, Texas, USA