RE: st-digest V2000 #475

> Hello, my name is Matt. I'm a Triumph owner.

Hi Matt.  Feels like a TA meeting.  Triumph's Anon. :)

> Last Friday I rolled out of Munroe Motors here in San Francisco
> with my new
> 2001 BRG Sprint ST. I previously owned a Bandit 600s (my first
> bike) which
> was stolen. I'm now slightly thankful for the jerk who stole the Bandit
> since it caused my introduction to the Sprint.

Good choice.  Don't feel too thankful, their still scum.

> Three questions:
>
> + on several occasions, a mid-tone whine has come from the engine
> area when
> after I turn on the bike (before starting). I'm assuming this is the fuel
> pump. It seems to be happening less frequently. Anyone noticed
> this on new
> Sprints before? Since the noise doesn't seem to have any affect on
> performance, I'm planning to wait till my 1000 mile service to talk to
> Munroe about it.

'They all do that sir'  Actually they do, and it seems not to be a problem.

> + sometimes when accelerating from a stop I here a faint, strange sound
> from the front of the bike. It kind of sounds like crinkling of very thin
> foil. It seems to happen less once the bike is warm. I must admit
> I haven't
> spent much time poking around the front of the bike to determine
> the cause.
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Yes, it is a characteristic of the Triumph triple,  No worries!

> + I was a bit disappointed that there appeared to be no helmet lock or
> place to attach a cargo net. Have I not spent enough time looking at my
> bike or does Triumph expect everyone to buy luggage? :)

Congratulations, you have stumbled upon John Bloor's conspiracy to prevent
helmets from being stolen.  It forces you to either you lock it in the
panniers/top box, or take it with you.  Again, they are all like that.
Check the web page for the licence plate adaptor that adds 2 locks.

> cheers
> matt

End of st-digest V2000 #476