Re: intro from SF

Previously, you (Matt Brown) wrote:
> + crinkling sound from the front end
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using the best gas (92 octane?) available
> at the gas stations I visit. It doesn't sound like any sort of engine
> knocking that I'm familiar with. It almost sounds like its coming from the
> water/oil cooler behind the front forks. It definitely seems to get better
> after the engine is good and warm.

Maybe just metal warming up and expanding.  Just guessing.

> + storage
>
> Thanks for the tips. Sadly it sounds like BRG panniers are a ways off.
> Maybe I can talk my dealer out of a pannier mount so I can at least use the
> rear rack until the boxes come in.

The rear rack is an extra that is required for the top box anyway, so
get it now and panniers and/or top box when you can.  No sense waiting.

> + transmission
>
> The stiff transmission was a bit of a shock, but I can already tell it'll
> be nice and smooth after a few thousand miles. I'm looking forward to it!

Just imagine if the transmission started smooth -- it would end up loose
and sloppy!  I'll take Triumph's tight engine and tranny any day!

Keys to ending up with a smooth shift: don't short shift.  These bikes
have so much torque that it is tempting to upshift at 3-4K.  Don't do
it.  Get it up to 6-7K and occasionally higher.  It only takes a week of
that and it'll be like butter by comarison.   Been there; done it.

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"