Re: intro from SF

>  From: "William A. Flowers" <waflowers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 09/15/2000
13:45:
>  Just imagine if the transmission started smooth -- it would end up loose
>  and sloppy!  I'll take Triumph's tight engine and tranny any day!
>
>  Keys to ending up with a smooth shift: don't short shift.  These bikes
>  have so much torque that it is tempting to upshift at 3-4K.  Don't do
>  it.  Get it up to 6-7K and occasionally higher.  It only takes a week of
>  that and it'll be like butter by comarison.   Been there; done it.

	Yep, I'll second that one. When I first got my ST I shifted too low
'cause frankly I wasn't used to the power (I came off of a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Nomad - big motor with only 55 hp and ~75 lb ft of torque, but had to push over
750 lbs of motorcycle plus me around). Once I started getting more comfortable
with it, I used higher revs and the transmission smoothed out very quickly. The
rallye we recently had on the Blue Ridge Parkway and surrounding twisties did
wonders for my tranny.

Break it in slow like our British friends suggest, but once you hit 1,000
miles, let hear scream like a banshee!

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	Spring, Texas, USA