Run in with a deer

Our weekend RAT Ride in VA/WV ended with a bang. Dee and I started for home
on back roads Sunday morning, after 10 miles I saw a deer cross the road and
noticed 2 more standing on the left side. I kept my eye on the ones on the
left and started to slow. The one on the right heard the bike and decided to
rejoin his companions. I thought, this is going to hurt (I was right), got
on the brakes, but had no chance. Got it down to about 50 (all this was 2
seconds) when we hit the front of the deer. Dee says she actually put her
hand out on the deer in an attempt to push it away. All I can say is a deer
is a lot harder than it looks, this one was a full grown female, probably
around 150 lbs. Dee was laying in the opposite lane screaming in pain with a
broken wrist and the Sprint slid down the road on it's left side about 150
yards. I got Dee off to the side of the road and shut off the engine while
we waited for the ambulance. I had my ever popular broken collarbone and
cracked ribs, we both have lots of bruising and ugly sore spots. We went
back and got the ST today, it has lots of trashed plastic, radiator damage
and water pump that I can see. We are taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I
guess we were lucky, The Triumph suits took a beating but we sustained no
road rash. We both feel pretty good considering the circumstances.

Paul & Dee
Madd Dawg & Dinky Dawg
1999 Sprint ST
2000 Buell X1