Subject: re: Panniers

 Paul,
     I installed my own and it isn't rocket science. They come with
instructions and use standard tools except that you will need a pop rivet
gun (they supply the pop rivets). I found it more difficult to install the
luggage rack which can give you a hand cramp. I notice many people don't use
one. They may have watched someone else install one (just kidding). It took
a couple hours (I'm sure they overestimate the time to allow the dealer to
make a handsome profit) and I am not a mechanic. As a matter of fact, I am a
management creep and everyone knows we don't actually ever do anything
productive. Use Loctite on the latch screws. For $700 US, you would think
Triumph would at least put the bag itself together and put the locks on it.
Oh yeah, four of the locks are the same (key comes out when unlocked)and
they belong on the bags. The other two (key won't come out when unlocked)
are the mounting bracket locks. I think they want you to lock the bags on
the bike, which is very reasonable in my opinion.
    This is a good thing to do on a Sunday afternoon while you swig on a
beer and watch the Vikings (American football team, not the actual Nordic
marauders that terrorized the British Isles) on TV. Otherwise, you would be
out for a ride, Right?

On deer whistles: You can barely hear the horn (car whistle?) on your own
bike at highway speeds.Why would you even think the deer can hear a
"whistle" that you can't hear yourself and think (deer are only large
rodents after all) to move to a safe location. Also, how can you be sure it
actually whistles? They have been proven to be useless. Get an ultrasonic
vermin repeller instead. I understand that you can't hear them doing
anything (and they don't actually repel anything) either, but they are more
high-tech, being electronic and all. Your bats, roaches and mice could
probably use a good laugh.
    I need a racoon whistle. I can still see the pose (right paw raised and
a grimace on its face) struck by one frozen in my headlights that I almost
hit in Ohio a month ago. I didn't know they could move so fast. I was
impressed!

Ciao,
Bob - '99 red ST w/panniers and w/o whistles, but w/deer everywhere.

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------