Subject: Re: broken shifter rod

Jong,
    You wrote: > Any reason anyone can think of that a pieces of 1/4" steel
with the
>appropriate threads cut in it wouldn't work?  Is the fact that it's
>aluminum special so that I don't trash the tranny trying to get it
>into gear?

  >The reason I ask is that I've almost finished cutting threads on a
>piece of steel, and want to make sure that it wasn't aluminum for a
>good reason..

The only reasons for aluminum over steel are weight and rust. The answer to
those problems are "not so much weight so you need to give a crap" and
paint. If you use stainless, so much the better.
Ciao,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------