RE: Daytona or Sprint

At 06:58 PM 9/26/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm in the process of trying to decide on a Daytona or Sprint ST. I've
>managed
>to arrange back to back test rides of both machines next weekend at my local
>dealer.
>
>In the mean time I thought I might canvas opinion on the relative merits of
>these machines from those that own them!
>
>So opinions please! Thanks, Andy.

I got the ST for the more comfortable seating position and the assumption
that it would take quite a while before I approached the limits of the
bike's abilities. However, I've found that I never go on long rides (more
than, say, 300 miles). I just don't have the time. What I DO do is go on
track days, enroll in track-based training, and ride on the twisties with
lots of other riders (and commute, but that's only 10 miles each way and it
isn't much above 40 mph). I'm still not riding the ST at the very limits of
its abilities, but my riding has improved significantly in less time than I
expected. So, even though the ST can go faster than I'm making it go, it
will be easier for me to go faster on a bike that's designed for that
purpose. Maybe then I'll be able to better keep up with the Daytonas,
Ducatis, and Hondas I often ride with.

So, after more than a year and nearly 12,000 miles on the first Black ST
sold in California, it's going on the market. I just got it back from the
12,000 mile service and it's perfect (as usual). Look for an official email
soon. I'll most likely replace it with a silver Daytona. Other bikes I'm
considering are: Aprilia Falco, Aprilia Mille, and Honda VTR. Maybe
others...I dunno. Stay tuned.

- --David
Dress up your Triumph. Get HubAmmo!

http://members.home.com/dbenj/arno/index.htm