Re: tranny complaints

In a message dated 9/30/00 9:56:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  It's great except that it shows up the
 deficiencies in the tranny (hard upshifts, difficult to find neutral).
 However, bike only has 1,800 miles on it so maybe I should wait a few thous.
 more before rendering judgment about the tranny. >>

While my experience/opinion here agrees that T-5 series seems even more
notchy in general, barring pre break-in antics which border on atrocious,
than the T-3's, it seems that shifting technique plays a huge role.  Try not
rolling off or letting the rpms drop so much during upshifts.  I find if I
really focus on it, it can shift like the proverbial butta.  I think the efi
has a tendency to close down abruptly on roll-off, as witnessed when decel
transition to idle mode comes into play.  Of course this is all purely
subjective based on my observations and YMMV.

Ken T. from Ca.

"tossed aside like cheap truck stop fare"

84' V65 Sabre, "Kong, gone but not forgotten"
95' Triumph Trident, "The Trooper"
96' Virago 1100, "Mellow If Slow"
99'Triumph Sprint St, "Bird of Prey"

COP#0018, AMA#414926, RAT#021975