[ST] Sneak preview of 2002 Sprints

Today I found a great benefit of living in a remote area of Northern
California. I was riding my Sprint on the Lost Coast ride when I passed a
truck and trailer pulled over, with a Sprint parked along side it. Curious,
I pulled a 180 and went back for a second look. As I pulled up, I noticed
two guys wearing Triumph factory overalls, and they quickly pulled a tarp
over the motorcycle.

Once I came to a stop though they noticed my mount and asked me if I would
like to see the new 2002 Sprint. Well, with the recent discussions here
about new bikes, I said sure, let me see it. So they removed the tarp, and
I was surprised to see that it looked exactly like the 2001 models.

So I asked the engineers what was new, and they said they'd show me. One of
the engineers went into the back of the trailer and grabbed a bottle of
Calistoga Mineral Water. He promptly opened up the tank of the ST and with
astonishment I watched him pour the contents of the bottle into the tank.
Before I could even question the wisdom of such an act, he fired up the
Sprint, hopped on it and revved it up. I was amazed, as it exibited no
signs of ill running. Over the roar of the engine he explained that in its
current mode it is only running on premium waters, but with further
development, they hope to make further improvements so it can be run on
ordinary tap water.

I was thinking that these Triumph boys were really on to something, when
the second engineer noticed that I looked a little warm and was I thirsty.
I was indeed a bit parched from my ride, and replied that yes, I could use
a drink. So he revved up the Sprint again and to my total disbelief, a
perfectly chilled can of Diet Coke shot out of the exhaust. Now while Diet
Coke isn't my favorite soft drink by far, I was so impressed with the
technology that I barely noticed the Coke's usual aftertaste. I guess the
engineers aren't too hot on Diet Cokes either, because they let slip that
an aftermarket exhaust can will be available that shoots out Diet Dr.
Peppers.

With that they noticed what date it was and realized they had a plane to
catch back to Hinkley, and that they better get going. Before I even had a
chance to ask them what colors the new Sprint was going to be available in,
they had packed everything up and dissapeared down the road, leaving a
trail of Diet Cokes. I guess they performed the same modification on their
truck.

Only then did I realize I should have taken pictures, because otherwise I'm
sure no one will believe all of this. But I swear, it is true.

Matt Knowles - matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (707) 786-4643
http://www.aestheticdesign.com