[ST] Iron Butt Qualifier 1000/1

Hi all, recently I rode 1000 miles in less than 24 hours to qualify for the
Iron Butt Association. It was quite an experience. My ST was up to the task
and did not give me any problems. I typically ride 200 to 300 miles when I
go out for a ride, so the 1000 miles was to be quite a step up. I
re-installed the tall wind screen but left the stock bars on ( I own a set
of Heli bars). I rode with only the side panniers and kept the luggage
light. I had brand new tires and a fresh oil change. I planned the trip to
ride with another rider, but his bike broke down on our first attempt and I
ended up re-starting on another day by myself. The runs between fuel stops
were planned not to exceed 200 miles. Two of the runs were 167+/-, two were
135+/- and one was 208 miles. The other runs were shorter due to the need to
stop and verify a turning point. It was a grueling ride, but a very
satisfying feat. I typically felt comfortable for about the first 100 miles
each run with some soreness setting in there after in the seat area. Every
time I stopped for fuel and a stretch, I was completely recovered and good
for another run. Most of the time I cruised at 90 mph, a few times I took it
up to 100 mph ( open desert highway in Nevada and Oregon) and the bike
remained smooth as silk. At no time did I hear anything out of order, or see
anything from the gauges out of order (what a fantastic bike).  My route was
from Burney CA to Reno NV, to Winnemucca NV, to Burns OR, to Bend OR,
Klamath OR, Weed CA, to Redding CA and back to Burney CA. The trip took less
than the maximum 24 hours required. As usual, it is such a treat to ride
such a beautiful bike (Red ST) and to be complimented on the looks of the
bike. As tired as I was near the end of the ride, I was surprised to find
myself still thinking about how much I love the feel of riding these bikes.
The ride has wet my appetite for more long distance riding, along with the
short blast I ride with friends on the tight twisties of our area. The ST is
truly a "sport/touring" bike.
One thousand miles is a long way to go in one day. I started later than I
should have, next time I will leave and drive the first few hours in the
dark. Better to save the daylight section for the end when I am tired and
drive the dark stretch at the start when I am fresh. I probably won't drive
as fast next time, the higher speed causes more fatigue due to high wind
pressure and stress. I will also take one or two breaks where I will lay
down and relax for an hour, (there is plenty of time).
I still haven't decided if I will come to the Western Rallye, but if I do,
it is just a little over a thousand miles and I might make it another Iron
Butt qualifier.
I hope you all enjoy your Sprints as much as I do mine, and that all your
rides be safe and successful.
Mike Benzon
Red 00 ST
Burney, California