Re: [ST] Ferries

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Ferries dated Thu, 5 Apr 2001 06:46:10
- -0700, Neil Lindsey said that ...

>NL-
>NL-  ----- Original Message -----
>NL-  From: "Mike Bostock
>
> > I have found the handlebar thingy from M & P which will secure the bike
> > without scratching your paintwork.
> >
>NL-  could you be more specific on the handlebar thingy?

"Try M&P accessories, 2001 catalogue (edition 14) page G34. Handlebar
support
strap. "For use with tie downs, this innovative system of securing machines
safely for transport is designed to be used in conjunction with standard or
ratchet tie downs. It allows the straps to clear the bodywork and eliminates
potential damage to grips, paintwork, bar ends, etc. It is tough for all
sorts of weights and it's adjustable to suit most bikes. Tie downs sold
separately. £15.75"

Diamond Dawg supplied me with the above information.  They come in red or
blue BTW.  I'll try to remember to look up the part number when I get back
home.

Basically they are two substantial webbing 'cuffs' linked together with
more substantial webbing straps which are covered with a nice fluffy sleeve
in the middle.  You slip the cuffs over the grips and then the tie down
ends clear the bodywork.  As tension is applied to the tie downs it pulls
both cuffs towards the middle of the bike, so they won't slip off!  With
ratchet tie downs on these and ordinary tie downs on the back of the bike I
would think it would not go anywhere, even in a force 10 (I am hoping not
to have these conditions, you understand - but it does make it easier to
get to the bar :-) )

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx