[ST] Ferries

The two times I've ferried my bike I have put it on the center stand and
used a short strap with a fastex fastener (available in any camping gear
store) between the front wheel and the crossmember on the bottom of the
stand so that the bike won't come off the stand if it rocks forward.
Then I use small rachet straps to strap to what-ever is available. I
don't know about your side of the pond, but over here the staps the
ferry has are made to hold lorries and a little heavy duty for a bike.
The good news: the ferries are much more stable than I thought they
would be, and the cargo area is in the bottom of the boat. And buy
insurance!