Re: [ST] 1K oil change?

>>> Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> - 4/7/01
How rich do you feel? :-) IMVHO, there's little to no benefit from changing the oil sooner than specified. If you're really concerned about metal particles, put a magnet around the oil filter:

Motorcycle Consumer News had a lab test oil some years back, and the conclusion of the research was that organic oil starts to break down at 1000 miles, and synthetic starts to break down at 2000 miles.

I once asked Erik Buell if he didn't think that 5000 miles was too long an interval for oil changes on the XL engine used in Buells. His reply was that was the industry standard and that was what people expected. He said, "We both know people who know engines will change their oil more frequently."

I plan to change the oil and filter on my wife's RS at 1,000 miles (in addition to the 500 mile service). After that, since I'll be running synthetic, I'll probably change every 3,000 miles. I know this is probably a little excessive and wasteful, but I'm willing to pay a few bucks every couple of months for the additional peace of mind I'll get from regular maintenance. If the cost becomes too much to bear, I'll just cut back on drinking coffee.

Darwin