[ST] Re: Nervous front end

>Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:41:37 -0700
>From: Jim Huber <jhuber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: re: [ST] Nervous Front End (long)

>I don't recall anyone else finding the ST's steering "nervous". The
>front end is soft, though. Also, the stock tires aren't great.

Seems from the list I'm not the only one.  I'm about 5'9" and 175lbs wet
weight.

>Sorry, but most of us have gone the RaceTech route. Why the hesitation?
>It's cheap, and the performance is much, much better.

400-500 USD isn't cheap after just buying the bike and accessories, I'd
hoped to wait a little longer before having to make this upgrade.  I
determined RaceTech is cheaper than an anesthesiologist's fees.

>>  BTW, anyone fitted a VistaCruise throttle lock? What were the mods
required?

>Not that I know of, but some of us have the ThrottleMeister, which is
>much less obtrusive when not in use. I really like mine.

I've heard the T-Meister can't be as quickly disengaged as a thumb lock
type, especially when the radar detector chirps.

>Another angle... and I mean this helpfully, not scornfully... how's your
riding
>skill/technique at the moment? If you're sliding the front in turns it's
>generally because you're not rolling on the throttle to transfer weight
>rearward. Perhaps in general you do it well but in learning your new
machine's
>personality you've done it badly a couple of times, like avoiding a bump or
>hole in a turn you rolled off and then back on

Thanks for the suggestion.  I love to gas it through and out of the turns,
and try to ride the Pace.  90% of my riding is on back roads.  I've ridden a
good number of miles on a variety of bikes and roads: CBR1000F,  Ducati 888,
Monster900, 750 Paso; CBR600F, V-Max, CB900F, Katana 750, BMW K75, V65,
Norton 850, Harley Sportster (well that one is really more for profiling
than riding) and haven't felt the front end misbehaving like I've been
noticing on the Sprint ST.  On straight freeway with expansion joints or
less than smooth surfaces (I-45N HOV lane), the pogo action and front
skittishness have at times made me slow down to the speed limit!  I don't
remember such negative feedback from any other bike.  Regarding stability,
110mph on the ST feels about the same as 145+mph on the Hurricane, (part of
that may be that with the tall gas tank on the Sprint I can't lay down
behind the windscreen like on the CBR), the front end of the Sprint starts
feeling vague at a much lower speed.  In all fairness, the Hurricane 1000
always tracked like it was on a rail, and has slower steering than the
Sprint ST.   If my problem is technique, I welcome pointers on what to do
different and I'll pay attention to your comment about throttle control.  I
know I'm not the best rider in the state, but I also know I'm not average.
If it is a technique issue, why haven't I encountered this type of front end
problem on any of the other bikes I've ridden?  (Speaking of techinque, no
man will ever admit he is a bad driver or a bad lover.  I've gotten above
average ratings on both from highly qualified judges.)

>Enjoy your wonderful new machine!

Thanks very much.  I've tweaked suspension on my last three bikes, may as
well do it to this one, could be that I'm too used to aftermarket
suspenders.  I really like the ST and hope the new suspension improves our
relationship.  My first bike was British, and I hope that a British bike
isn't my last one.  Maybe I'll see you riding outside of Houston some time
and we can trade riding tips and tales.

Ira 'Tollah'
'01 Blue ST (too new a relationship to have a nickname yet)
'88 Silver Hurricane 1000 "the MotoMistress"
- --
it is socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time

iratollah

End of st-digest V2001 #207