[ST] re: Nervous front end

>  >Sorry, but most of us have gone the RaceTech route. Why the hesitation?
>  >It's cheap, and the performance is much, much better.
>
>  400-500 USD isn't cheap after just buying the bike and accessories, I'd
>  hoped to wait a little longer before having to make this upgrade.  I
>  determined RaceTech is cheaper than an anesthesiologist's fees.

	$400 to $500? Jeez, the parts are like $150. I had my dealer's mechanic
(Jimmy at Motorcycle Mania) do the work and I'm pretty sure the whole deal was
less than $300. He does exceptional work, too - I'm always happy.

>  >... but some of us have the ThrottleMeister, which is
>  >much less obtrusive when not in use. I really like mine.
>
>  I've heard the T-Meister can't be as quickly disengaged as a thumb lock
>  type, especially when the radar detector chirps.

	The ThrottleMeister just puts friction into the turning of the grip -
doesn't really "lock" it, so you can always change the throttle setting without
touching the 'Meister. In fact, I usually set the 'Meister with just enough
friction to hold the throttle so I can easily change speeds without screwin'
with it. I like it a lot!

>  ...  On straight freeway with expansion joints or
>  less than smooth surfaces (I-45N HOV lane), the pogo action and front
>  skittishness have at times made me slow down to the speed limit!  ...

	Well, I had mine RaceTech'd a while back, so perhaps I don't remember
it as bad as it really was. My main beef was the heavy dive under even moderate
braking. I ditched the BT-57's for Dunlops really early, too, so I suspect the
tires are contributing heavily, too. Same thing on my Suzuki SV650S - the
Metzelers slowed the turn-in too much, so I swapped 'em for Dunlops on that
bike at only 700 miles.
	You're welcome to ride my ST if you like to get a feel for the RaceTech
improvement. I used 1.00 Kg/mm springs in the forks, and I still have the stock
rear shock. Let me get the oil in the forks swapped before you try it, though,
as I had 5w put in per the RaceTech website, but later information seems to
confirm that 15w is correct. It does presently seem underdamped. I have to take
mine in for the 12k service soon, and I'll have the fork oil swapped then.

Enjoy!

	Jim