[ST] RE: Sauber GP Engine

> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:04:28 -0500
> From: Lex Offer <reffoxel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> I remember awhile back in the car industry someone had designed
> rotating valves instead of up and down valves.  Wonder if they'd
> ever try something like that on a bike.

Lex,

Rotating valves have been round for yonks:

Cf. 1 - Engine designed by R C Cross in 1923 using a single rotating sleeve
parallel to the crankshaft axis (roughly where you'd put the camshaft on an
SOHC engine).

Cf. 2 - Engine designed by Aspin in 1936. This used a single rotating cone
valve with its axis in line with the cylinder bore, and which formed the
cylinder head.

Their main problem is that they suffer from high thermal distortion, have
lots of friction surface and poor lubrication (unless total loss). The Cross
engine also has inherent sealing problems.

It may be that they'd be workable with contemporary materials though...

Regards,
- --
BRG
email: keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx