[ST] tall riders--also dealer pricing

Hey all, I'm new to the group, looking to get a new(er) bike this summer.
I'm moving up from 4 years on a 650 nighthawk.  The nighthawk is a
great, dependable bike, but just not comfortable enough for me to do
more than an hour on at a time.

I'm 6'4", 36" inseam, 175lbs.  I'm looking for a bike that I can do at
least a 300 mile day on, maybe up to 500.

At first I was thinking of maybe a "comfortable" sportbike, like
Yamaha's YZF600R, or possibly a VFR.  Insurance on the YZF is enough
to turn me off of them, unless I want to just have liability on it.
Someone told me to look at the ST.  I went to a dealer (Eurosport Cycle
in Ft. Worth) and sat on one and I am enamored.

The fit seemed okay, no knee clunking.  I didn't have a chance to take
one out, but they will let me demo an RS they have (though I understand
the RS's seating position is a little more agressive and the bars lower,
right?)

I'm concerned about longer trips though, like how I'll be after an hour
or two.  Can any taller riders tell me about their experiences?  (I
tried searching the archive, but couldn't find much).  How's the seat,
handlebars and screen?  Any modifications necessary or recommended for
someone my height?

Also, how flexible is pricing on a new ST?  I realize this is spring an
all, so it's not as good as buying in the winter.  List is $10,800 on
the one I looked at.  What's a good "out the door" price for a 2001?
(if it matters, I'm in Dallas, Texas) I figure there's always room for
negotiation, but I don't want to insult anyone.  Obviously, there's not
as much demand for these bikes as for the Japanese ones, but I guess
smaller supply evens that out.

If I want to get bags with it, is it best to negotiate those as part
of the initial purchase or to order them later?  Ditto heated grips
(yes, I live in Texas, call me a wuss, but I ride year round and it can
occasionally get chilly).

Any other shopping/buying advice is welcomed.  Sorry for the long post,
I guess I probably should have made this 2 separate messages.

Thanks,
Brian