RE: [ST] tall riders--also dealer pricing

> I'm concerned about longer trips though, like how I'll be after an
> hour or two.  Can any taller riders tell me about their experiences?
> (I tried searching the archive, but couldn't find much).  How's the
> seat, handlebars and screen?  Any modifications necessary or
> recommended for someone my height?

I'm 6'0/34" inseam.  Coming from an '85 VF500 I experienced a bit of an
adjustment period, as for me the ST seat felt higher and the bars lower
down and farther away.  Following the advice of several folks on this
list I found by adjusting my seating position and back I can now ride
easily and comfortably for ~200 miles w/o a stop (could probably do
more, but this is about the point when I need gas).  For me, driving at
in-town speeds for long periods of time can get uncomfortable.  Adding
GenMar risers seems to alleviate this for some and I just ordered a set
last Friday.  Some people have tried getting the seat shaved down a bit
as well.

I actually like the stock screen as is even on the longer trips but am
finding that when I use the tank bag I would like a taller screen. It
looks like changing them is pretty simple and like Steve said there are
a variety of options.

> If I want to get bags with it, is it best to negotiate those as part
> of the initial purchase or to order them later?  Ditto heated grips

I guess it depends on how handy you are with hand-tools and how much
time you have on your hands.  Personally I opted to have the dealer do
both as I had not the tools, time, nor garage in which to work.  Michael
Petrilla has some suggestions on an alternate switch mounting location
for the grips at http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/heat/index.htm that
you may want to check out first (wish I had) before having them
installed.

Don't know about price flexibility, but I'm to understand that Triumph
is now offering a $300 clothing allowance to new ST purchases.

It seems that by far and away the most difficult thing about the ST is
not should you buy one or not, but in which color to get it.

Paul
'01 ST BRG