[ST] re: MPG with race can, 17 tooth sprocket

>  From: "Tony B." <thomas_4@xxxxxxxxx>, on 04/16/2001 07:02:
>  I have seen dyno results of race can/stock can and
>  that all looks ok, it sounds great over stock even if
>  little performance gains are recognized. what I would
>  like to know from others w/Triumph race cans and the
>  respective EFI remapping... how does this effect the
>  fuel milage? better, worse, no difference. do I get to
>  keep my 50+ mpg??

Here's what I know and what I'd like to know:

	 On a trip last Friday to Dallas and back (473 miles) I got 50.6 MPG
cruising around 80 mph indicated. I have the stock pipe and '00 gearing
(43/19). Going to last year's rallye with three other bikes who all had the
performance pipes, two CF and one stainless, and '99 gearing (43/18) they all
got very close to the same mileage I did - if they put in 4.1 gallons in their
tanks then I put in about 4.0; that's really close.
	So right now I consider my realistic maximum cruising range to be 250
miles: 50 MPG times 5 gallons, leaving about a half gallon in the tank. What is
the minimum and maximum mileage people have seen with the performance pipe and
a 17 tooth front sprocket (43/17)? If I can still expect to get at least 40 MPG
on the highway cruising at about 80 MPH indicated, I'll probably do it. That'll
still keep a 200 mile realistic maximum cruising range, but put a lot more zing
into an already fantastic machine.

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	'01 red SV650S  "Cherii"