[ST] re: still wishy-washy

>  From: brd <brd@xxxxxxx>, on 04/18/2001 16:24:
>  ... To equalize the higher price some, I'm considering getting a used
>  Triumph if I decide to go that route.  It seems most of the used ones on
>  the market are red--ironic, considering my previous paragraph.

	Get a black one. Buy Erik Miner's, to be specific. It's presently for
sale and has ALL the goodies - both Triumph accessories and the best
aftermarket upgrades, like RaceTech forks and Ohlins shock.

>  Browsing the list archives, though, has left me with some lingering
>  questions.  Are there any truths to the following, or are these flaws
>  that have been hammered out by now? but should I still worry about them
>  if I get a 99 or 2000 model?
>
>  Availability of luggage.  I read it can be hard to get or might take
>  months, or was that just an issue when the bike first came out?

	I think it took about 2- 3 weeks for mine to come in last February, and
that was in the new Sapphire Blue color. Erik's has 'em already.

>  The boxes tend to leak and/or rust?  Or bang around, break the side
>  brackets, and come off?

	I've had mine for 14 months and over 12k miles - no breaks, no rust, no
leaks (even in bad, bad rain and sleet), no complaints whatsoever.

>  Parts can take weeks to arrive at the dealer?

	Mine have always come in in 2 - 3 days if it's not a "rush" order.

>  There's not a large dealer network, maybe higher chance of getting
>  stranded on the road in a city where you can't get the bike fixed?

	I think all of the major cities around the U.S. have Triumph dealers,
though you may not find one in every small town you pass through. Many of the
things that might leave you stranded are typical of most motorcycles, though,
and most anyone can fix them - tires, brakes, chains, and so on.

>  Finally, is there any evidence yet about long-term reliability?  Does
>  anyone really have any idea how long the bike will last?  Is this engine
>  new as of 99, or were there previous triumphs with it that would give
>  more of an indication of lifetime?

	The ST motor is a "retuned" Daytona motor - different pistons, sleeves,
and cams for more low and midrange torque (nice for touring with a load) and a
1,000 rpm lower rev limit. Essentially the same  955cc triple is used in the
Daytona, Speed Triple, Sprint ST, Sprint RS, and Tiger, so Triumph has a
serious commitment to it. There are folks on the list with over 30,000 miles, I
believe, but admittedly there are at least two I can remember that had their
motors unexplainably die. It happens occasionally to any manufacturer. For my
money, though, I have no qualms whatsoever about jumping on it for a little
spin of a few thousand miles or so.

FWIW,

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"