Re: [ST] Exercise & Long Trips

>Robert wrote:  any specific exercises that people do to prepare for long
rides

I got my "hints" from the Iron Butt page:  www.ironbutt.com and, from that
page, click on the link to "Archive of Wisdom".  The Iron Butt page is for
long distance riders and has a lot of good information.  Their suggestions
don't really address your question about exercise but they are valuable,
nonetheless.  I followed their advice, particularly in terms of drinking
lots of water and eating appropriately (for LD riding).  Also, I took the
supplement MSM beginning a week before I started my 24/1000 ride and
continued taking it during the ride.  There will be opinions, yes and no,
about taking this so I suggest doing your own research (or the usual "don't
sue me caveat" of check with your doctor...).

I rode with a water bladder so I could drink water steadily throughout the
ride.  I felt no pain, very little stiffness, and was more than ready to
begin the rally that followed my 24/1000 ride so something must have worked
for me, and my guess is that the water and eating patterns were the most
important things.

For exercise?  Ride a lot ahead of time!

Vicki Biscay
vickib@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01 ST BRG "Grinch"