Re: [ST] Poser reliability <Ashley>

I have no great experience of Harleys other than knowing guys that used to
quite regularly blow them up making them faster. What I was getting at was
that they have a bad image with other bike riders, bad reliability. poor
handling, shocking brakes, etc.
A few years ago Triumph bought back a Trident with 250,000 miles on the
clock with no engine work other than a sprag clutch but you still hear
people saying are they reliable, do they leak oil etc.
A certain amount of exclusivity is good but I know from experience that
having a really rare bike (1 of 130 made) can be a pain in the ass but it is
usually worth it.

> Actually, exclusive is bad, makes parts harder to get for your daily
riding bike. Possibly good for a ego though.
> My primary transportation until last year was a 1971 H-D Superglide, owned
for 14 years and 100,000 miles, she proved to be very reliable over the long
haul. I would like to believe the Triumph will prove as reliable and long
lived as the HD was.

> The exclusive is bad part would be that if I need a part for the Harley
there is a shop in just about every town in this country that is HD related.
Triumph is a bit harder to come by. While I expect the Triumph to last, it
will also depend on its' electronics and alloys to keep doing their jobs.

I would like to think I don't need to repair the Triumphs on the side of the
road.

> A HD is more forgiving and much easier to field repair and has lower
maintenance costs, than a FI, fuel pumped, computer controlled cycle.

> Did I mention I'm up for my fourth Triumph fuel sender?
>
> As for the poser's, they sort of equal the sport bike squids, now don't
they?

> I'm HD friendly, and really like my Sprint, but the HD's are a great bike
within their envelope. It's when you try to make them do sportbike stuff
that their reliability suffers.