fuel reserver?(Re: [ST] fuel gauge sender)

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 12:34:33PM -0000, Steve Duncan wrote:
> Fuel gauge accurracy? Crap, this is the first bike I have owned WITH the
> damned thing.  Forget I even have one half the time.  Time for gas at
> 180-200 miles, what else do ya need to know?  Next thing someone will be
> bitchin because the CLOCK loses one minute per month!

The Sprint doesn't have a fuel reserve, does it?  Is the gas mileage
pretty consistent between around town vs on the highway?

The reason I ask is that on my nighthawk, I can usually go 100-120 miles
before having to switch to reserve (3.5 gal tank).  It has a gauge, but
it starts warning you you're low after 40 miles.  Anyway, last year I
switched jobs and only commuted 2 miles each way on it.  I had to make
some trip across town and saw that I had gone 80 miles.  I got on the
highway and about 6 miles later the bike died.  Out of gas, no problem
I'll just switch to reserve ... shit, it was already on reserve, I'd
forgotten to put it back last time I filled up.  All the short trips I
made reduced my total range from 130 miles to 85, which lead to an
unexpected surprise.

Anyway, having a reserve didn't save me that time, but it has other
times, though I don't let it happen often.  But with the nighthawk, I
used to commute 50 miles round trip, so I'd have to fill up every other
day and forgot once or twice.  So I think I'd feel a little
uncomfortable being reserve-less.  Then again, if the gauge works
reasonably well, that would cancel that fear out.

Laters,
Brian