[ST] Re: Tunes, Take them with you!

Hi David

> would it be possible to have carry a separate computer
> with a different tune and just swap the box
> use one for touring (better mileage, better midrange) then swap
> to a another tune that screwed the mileage and gave more
> Rambling thoughts of a madman,

Definitely NOT mad. I have also wished to be able to change the tune more
easily. But I don't think separate boxes is the way - that's a backwards
step to the 'old days' of chipping. No, I reckon all you need is more memory
on the current system, so it can store more than one tune at once, and a
couple of user-accessible buttons on the outside (like my son's bicycle
computer). Realistically that would do. It would be real neat to take a long
tour in 'economy' mode, then when you get where you're going just lift the
seat and press 'sports' mode! Better still (but less likely to happen) have
the buttons up on the bars, so when that tosser in a Porsche blows past on a
long boring freeway ride you can instantly switch to the 'sports' map and
really surprise him! Or even better than that, have several modes, including
a 'user-settable' mode. That way you could have 'town', 'freeway', 'canyon',
'track', 'wheelie' modes etc etc.

Of course to really get the best out of it you'd also want to be able to
change your final gear ratio at the press of a button (or flip of a lever).
Again 'low' and 'high' would be a minimum, giving you 12 gears if the switch
was bar-mounted. But why stop there? A programmable and selectable variable
valve system would be neat too. Valve timing/lift being the one really
important bit of the engine not yet electronically controlled. And maybe
have pre-programmed one-touch selectable handlebar/footpeg/suspension setups
too. All of course as tough as diamond but miraculously costing little and
weighing nothing. Ramble ramble ....

Barry