Re: [ST] Re: Siphon hoses

In your message regarding [ST] Re: Siphon hoses dated Fri, 27 Apr 2001
12:47:39 -0000, Steve Duncan said that ...

>SD-

After hearing that 3 CO2 cylinders in a puncture repair kit was only just
barely sufficient to inflate a Sprint rear I thought that if I could find a
12V tyre pump, small and light enough not to be a burden then I would pack
it in a pannier when touring.  Have one now on which I have put an
accessory socket plug (needed to uprate the fuse to 5A).  I also have
another one which has a rechargeable battery on it but although it is
smaller (will fit under the seat provided you don't want to put anything
else underneath [including dead cats]) it is heavier due to the
rechargeable cell, so I tend to prefer the former since my underseat space
is already crowded.

This will allow me to inflate my tyres (should they need it) when they cold
and away from home, rather than hot when I eventually arrive at a garage,
and provide supplementary pressure after repairing a puncture should 3 CO2
bottles be insufficient.

To answer another posting reference tyre inflators which have a pressure
limiting device - the rechargeable pump has a pressure limiting (relief)
valve on it which is *almost* accurate.  The other one has a dial gauge
valve which is hopelessly inaccurate (reads 4-5 psi high).

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/